Safety tips for public fireworks displays:
* Obey all ushers or monitors and respect safety barriers. Don’t get close to the actual firing site.
* If you find an unexploded firework component, do not touch it – immediately contact the local fire or police department.
* Leave your own fireworks at home.
Safety tips for home fireworks displays:
* Buy fireworks only from licensed outlets. Follow package directions. Store fireworks in a dry, cool place.
* Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
* Never allow young children to play with fireworks, not even sparklers. Supervise older children closely.
* Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from flammable materials. Keep water nearby. Be sure people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
* Light one at a time, then move back quickly. Never stand over fireworks when lighting. Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away.
* Never ignite fireworks in any kind of container.
* Never experiment with homemade or altered fireworks.
* Never carry fireworks in your pocket, point or throw fireworks at people or animals, or use fireworks as weapons.
* Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them.